Thursday, April 4, 2013

Opera Bag - Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge #7 - Accessorize

For those of you unfamiliar with the Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge, let me fill you in.  Leimomi Oakes, of The Dreamstress blog, has come up with a marvelous idea to challenge the seamstress in all of us by issuing a different challenge each fortnight for one year! 
For myself, it's challenge enough to finish anything in two weeks because I am usually working on so many different projects at one time.  However, this challenge has really engaged my interest and I am happy to report that I've finished my first project, challenge #7 - Accessorize.  
I started into the challenges a bit late in the year because of other obligations and one very amazing overseas travel adventure in February and March.  The Accessorize challenge came at a perfect time for me as I'd been wanting to make myself a Late Victorian inspired opera purse. It had to be a structured purse with a separate compartment for my opera glasses.  Challenge #7 ends on April 8 and the opera will be performing on April 12th in our small city.  So, without further ado, I present my opera purse for your perusal and enjoyment.
Beginning

Wrapping and shaping wire

adding cardboard inside of wire bottom
stitching buckram onto bottom
Adding buckram and boning sides
Wrapped wire around the top 
forming the dome lid & covering with buckram
Velvet has been stitched in place over buckram exterior and satin lining, with partition is in place.
Stitching on some trimmings
Lid is in place with satin "hinge"
Back of opera bag
Front of opera bag
Opera glasses in place!








Vintage Gams © 2013

2 comments:

  1. That is cute! I may have to steal this idea...if I ever get a set of opera glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome to "steal" the idea. Let me know when you do. I'd love to see the photos of your bag!

      Delete

♥ Questions? Comments? Please leave me a note to let me know you were here.