For those of you unfamiliar with the Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge, let me fill you in. Leimomi Oakes, of The Dreamstress blog, has come up with a marvelous idea to challenge the seamstress in all of us by issuing a different challenge each fortnight for one year!For myself, it's challenge enough to finish anything in two weeks because I am usually working on so many different projects at one time. However, this challenge has really engaged my interest and I am happy to report that I've finished my first project, challenge #7 - Accessorize.
I started into the challenges a bit late in the year because of other obligations and one very amazing overseas travel adventure in February and March. The Accessorize challenge came at a perfect time for me as I'd been wanting to make myself a Late Victorian inspired opera purse. It had to be a structured purse with a separate compartment for my opera glasses. Challenge #7 ends on April 8 and the opera will be performing on April 12th in our small city. So, without further ado, I present my opera purse for your perusal and enjoyment.
|Wrapping and shaping wire|
|adding cardboard inside of wire bottom|
|stitching buckram onto bottom|
|Adding buckram and boning sides|
|Wrapped wire around the top|
|forming the dome lid & covering with buckram|
|Velvet has been stitched in place over buckram exterior and satin lining, with partition is in place.|
|Stitching on some trimmings|
|Lid is in place with satin "hinge"|
|Back of opera bag|
|Front of opera bag|
|Opera glasses in place!|
Vintage Gams © 2013